“Loving” taxi driver Dilbuhr Pazir was awaiting treatment for laryngeal cancer at Northwick Park Hospital, when tragedy struck.
He vomited while being fed by a nasogastric tube through his nose.
The feed entered his lungs, and he went into cardiac arrest on September 2, 2023.
This led to brain damage and the 41-year-old died at Slough’s Wexham Park Hospital on October 19.
Dilbuhr Pazir was ‘a loving husband, a kind father to three sons, a brother, son and friend to many’ before his untimely death (Image: Leigh Day/Family Handout / SWNS)
An inquest held last week in Barnet, area coroner Peter Murphy ruled Mr Pazir died of natural causes after suffering a hypoxic brain injury.
However, London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust, which runs the Watford Road hospital, confirmed they had made changes following Mr Pazir’s death to minimise the risk of patients with nasogastric tubes.
A hospital spokesperson said: “We offer our heartfelt condolences to Mr Pazir’s family which the coroner has concluded was due to natural causes.
Dilbuhr Pazir, who was ‘fit and healthy’ leaves behind his wife Natasha and three sons (Image: Leigh Day/Family Handout / SWNS)
“Although the coroner made no criticism of the care and treatment provided by the trust, we have nonetheless made changes to further minimise risks to patients with nasogastric (NG) tubes.”
Following the inquest, Mr Pazir’s devastated family said that though nothing could make up for the loss of their “husband, son, father and brother”, they hoped lessons could be learned so no other families would be forced to endure similar grief.
Mr Pazir’s wife, Natasha Pazir, said: “Dilbuhr was a loving husband, a kind father to our three sons, a brother, son and friend to many.
“He was taken from us too soon.
Dad of three young sons, Dilbuhr Pazir was ‘taken too soon’ said his grieving wife Natasha. (Image: Leigh Day/Family Handout / SWNS)
“I have three young boys to raise, and I am faced with the enormous challenge of trying to provide them with emotional support, guidance and the financial stability they need.
“While nothing can ever make up for the devastating loss of Dilbuhr to our family, we hope that lessons can be learned to ensure no one else has to endure the grief that we are going through.”
Mr Murphy told the inquest: “Mr Dulbuhr Pazir was 41 when he died on October 19, 2023, at Wexham Park Hospital in Slough, after sustaining a hypoxic brain injury in September at Northwick Park Hospital.
“This arose due to Mr Pazir aspirating a large volume of vomitus. Aspiration is a common feature of laryngeal cancer. Mr Pazir is much missed by his wife and family.”
Addressing Mr Pazir’s wife, the coroner added: “Can I offer my deepest condolences for the loss of your husband.”
Frankie Rhodes, a senior associate solicitor at law firm Leigh Day, who represented Mr Pazir’s family at the inquest – welcomed the changes.
She said Dilbuhr’s death was “sudden and tragic”, and it was a privilege to represent his wife.
She added: “Dilbuhr had been diagnosed with laryngeal cancer, his initial treatment had gone well, and his family were optimistic about his chances of recovery.
“He was otherwise fit and healthy.
“It was accepted in the incident report ordered by the trust and in evidence that staff should have checked on Dilbuhr more frequently because he was a patient with a compromised airway meaning there was an increased risk of him choking.
“Since Dilbuhr’s death, London North West University Healthcare NHS Trust has changed its policy to ensure patients in similar circumstances are no longer placed in side rooms.
“Feeding by nasogastric tube is also no longer carried out overnight, to minimise the risk to patients.”