Transport for London (TfL) has revealed that the station will close from May 31, and will not reopen until spring next year.
Campaigners have called for the four escalators to be replaced for years after they repeatedly failed, forcing passengers to walk up 121 steps or use what some locals have described as the “worst lift in London”.
The project will cost £4 million to carry out, delivering what TfL says are “state-of-the-art, energy efficient” escalators.
Transport bosses claim that replacing the escalators is especially complex as the old escalators were lowered into the ground and the station built above them.
They have said that replacing all four at once is the best way to “minimise disruption”, adding that the small footprint of the station means it is not possible for it to remain open while work takes place.
Ben Grellier, TfL’s head of operations for the DLR, said: “We know Cutty Sark’s escalators have been causing disruption and frustration for our customers and we would like to thank them for their patience during this period.
“We apologise for any further disruption the station closure may cause.”
Len Duvall, assembly member for Greenwich and Lewisham, said that the temporary closure of the station was “unfortunate”, but added that it was “welcome news” that the problem with the escalators would finally be resolved.
Until 2021, City Greenwich Lewisham (CGL) Rail was responsible for maintaining the escalators.
Transport bosses claim that they have tried to refurbish the escalators since then, but that it has been decided that they are “beyond reasonable repair”.
The station will be open for the London Marathon at the end of April, when special entry and exit arrangements will be in place to minimise crowding.
During the Cutty Sark closure, passengers have been urged to use the nearby Greenwich station, which is an 11 minute walk away.
TfL says it has installed better street signage to help guide passengers between the two stations.