Lucy Vermussche had been visiting the resting place of her daughter at Upminster Cemetery in Ockendon Road on March 25 when she made the discovery.
Her daughter, Grace Ogoliegbune, has been buried at the site since January 30 last year.
She died just weeks after her premature birth at 24-weeks-old.
Lucy, 35, said: “Grace was a beautiful soul who deserved so much more time.
“Her resting place should be a space of peace, love, and respect—a place where we can remember her with dignity.”
Items that have gone missing from the infant’s grave include seven Winnie-the-Pooh Disney figures, and a Stitch pencil gifted to her by her sister during her time at The Royal London Hospital.
Grace’s grave is at Upminster Cemetery (Image: Lucy Vermussche) The mum-of-seven had been visiting Grace at least twice a week before the incident, but has said she has now been back every day since.
She said: “I’m with her now. I can’t leave her, I can’t even leave her. It’s just really sad.
“I just think it’s disgusting. I feel like that place should be just respected. It’s just not fair at all.
“It’s devastating to know that someone would take from a child’s grave. This isn’t just about stolen items; it’s about the lack of respect for Grace’s memory and for those who love her.”
A picture of the figures that Lucy says have been taken from the grave (Image: Lucy Vermussche) Grace’s headstone is adorned with butterflies, flowers and pictures of her with the words “daughter” and “in the garden of memories, your spirit dances with the butterflies”.
Lucy, of Stanford Close, Romford, said she believes she is not the only one to have experienced items going missing from a grave at the cemetery.
She revealed that when she went back to visit Grace the next day, another cemetery user said things were missing from the grave he visited.
Grace pictured with Lucy in hospital (Image: Lucy Vermussche) The grieving mother has alerted to the cemetery to the incident and was told that groundsmen would be made aware.
Lucy fears there is little that can be done after reportedly being told that they could not put up a camera to look over her daughter’s garden.
READ MORE: More than 600 reports of damp and mould at council homes since October
She added: “I just want people to understand what this means to us.
“Losing Grace was already unbearable—having her resting place disturbed only adds to the pain.
“A cemetery should be a place of remembrance and respect. No family should have to worry about their loved one’s resting place being violated.”
We contacted Upminster Cemetery for a comment and were advised to approach Havering Council for a statement, which we have done.